Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Totally Turkish DVD - Cheeky Girls Working on First Belly Dancer Reality Show!

THE FLASH: Online Reality Show About Belly Dancers - STARTS JANUARY 3RD, 2011 - Details here: http://topbellydancer.com/
Will be blogging about that - the trailer is controversial - a few minutes to create a 'mind-blowing choreography' with dancers you've never worked with?!...can't wait to see what happens....I wonder if there'll be actual bloodshed?!

THE BLOG:

It's near the Christmas holiday and like a lot of Americans, it wouldn't surprise anyone if I said I was focused on shopping, cooking and spending a heartwarming holiday with family and good friends. I'll bet it wouldn't surprise my dance family to know that ANY holiday is considered an opportunity to spend time learning new moves and honing existing skills....exactly what I'm planning this holiday! Someone else can cook and aswer the door as friends and family come and go...I'll be in front of the big screen trying my darndest to emulate "Ruby's" energetic Turkish style. What a fabulous holiday this is going to be!

Many of you know I bought the "Totally Turkish" dvd recently from Cheeky Girls Productions starring Ruby. I found it during a random online search for Turkish Romani dance dvd's. I was actually looking for something that would address the moves you see in this YouTube clip...these are Bulgarian girls but I see these hip articulations in similar forms all over the web in my searches for authentic Romani dance and would like some instruction that's exacting.

Bulgarian - Mis Dibi (song)

If anyone knows any instructionals that address this type of hip work - please leave a comment for us! Thanks.

Back to Totally Turkish DVD featuring Ruby 



I love it! Watch the short demo on the Amazon ad (link provided) to get a feel for her style and content. It's not for the faint hearted and it's not solely a Romani instructional but in her Oriental there are Romani moves - she explains in the beginning that (her opinion?) Romani dance is at the 'heart' of Turkish oriental. I'd love some knowledgable feedback about that - at any rate - she does a great job with Turkish oriental and fusing or staying close to its Romani roots. She's also provided a very short Romani choreography but no surprises there. Her Oriental contains the usual high energy kicks, turns, head tosses, zill work, and expansive use of space along with some familiar moves that I haven't seen since I was first introduced to Turkish/Romani. I love these moves; they're those 'what the heck was THAT' moves that glue you to the dancer and make you rush backstage afterwards to beg for a personal demo. I thought this move was Tunisian - it's the  sharp hip"Twist" on the lifted ball of the foot, a release and weight shift to other hip with a sharp 'in' so that hip is vertical with body, followed immediately by a sharp hip twist on the flat ball of the opposite foot and repeated (R,L,R).

There's also some interesting layering with a choo-choo and a pelvic shimmy that (novice that I am) I have not seen anything quite like prior to this or if I have, it was one of those 'what the heck was THAT moves' and there were too many other fans backstage afterwards for me to get a private demo from the star. Ruby herself seemed quite pleased with her ability on this one!

There's much more to this DVD and I will blog more after I've applied some of the techniques throughout the holiday. ALSO - Patsy and I are having a Totally Turkish Weekend after Third Coast with

Eva Cernik in January. We'll be viewing/reviewing Ruby's interpretation of Turkish Oriental and Romani - probably post some video footage of our application as well....identify the rough spots and maybe give some helpful tips. I'll definitely blog about Third Coast and post video of Patsy's performance there. GO PATSY!

HELP: Need tips to take my belly 'stutter' to a flutter!

And any advice about how to do the pelvic shimmy would be GREATLY appreciated!

Happy Holidays! I hope I get more DVD's!

the Slow 9





No comments: