Thursday, October 28, 2010

TANYELI – MAGNETIC PERFORMER IMMERSED IN TURKISH CULTURE!

Artemis Mourat conducts “Turkish Intensive” workshops in Silver Spring, MD. For several days, a group of a dozen or so self proclaimed Turkophiles study dance, music and Turkish Romani culture intensely. We delight in each other’s company and trade tips, knowledge, experience and lots of laughs! Danielle Donaldson coined the phrase Turkophile for our group. I’ve been fortunate enough to spend two of Artemis’s Intensives with Danielle. I love being in Danielle’s company – I think everyone would agree that she has a magnetic personality….she’s a stimulating, intelligent conversationalist, experienced dancer, has wonderful costuming ideas and a GREAT laugh! We are all looking forward to another Turkophile celebration in January 2011 in Fort Worth, TX at 3rd Coast Tribal Fest where we’ll be studying with Eva Cernik!



Dance Romani: Greetings fellow Turkophile, Ready??

Danielle: Yep!

Dance Romani: Great - let's rock! I met you at Artie's last year, I believe. You are the one who defined us as 'Turkophiles'. Describe your dance how Turkish was introduced to you and what role it plays in your individual style now?

Danielle: As a soloist, I almost always try to perform Turkish style although I do some fusion dancing every now & then too. My first dance teacher was Vintage Orientale (as Artie would say) but she indirectly got me interested in Turkish by encouraging me to get involved with the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). I chose a Turkish persona and got really into the historical details. She also turned me onto the band Turku.

Dance Romani: Was it a SCA performance that initially got you interested in bellydance?

Danielle: Actually no... I have wanted to bellydance since I was a kid. I used to be in awe of the dancers at Busch Gardens. I grew up near Tampa and we used to go there all the time. I even had my grandmother make me a bellydance costume when I was about 10!

Dance Romani: Wow! What a great grandmother. Where was your first dance teacher located? Most of us have a hard time finding teachers in a convenient locale who specialize in Turkish!

Danielle: She was in Roanoke, VA which is about an hour away but she did not specialize in Turkish. She was a classic American-style bellydancer. I'm sure that she had some Turkish influence but Artie is my true Turkish mentor.

Dance Romani: How did your relationship with Artie come about?

Danielle: Before I was bellydancing myself, I used to watch her perform at Casablanca back when I lived near DC and few years ago she started offering ‘Totally Turkish’ weekend workshops so I would drive up for those. I was beyond thrilled when she offered the intensive.

Dance Romani: Me, too! For some dancers there's an 'Aha' moment when they're drawn to Turkish exclusively....I can remember my moment very vividly. Was there a defining moment for you? For me - it was the music...a few strains of an exotic slow 9 and I was a goner...I was IN LOVE!

Danielle: Oh I love the 9/8 probably more than any other. I don't know exactly when I fell in love. It was back in 1999 when I started dancing and joined the SCA. There was just something about Turkish music that just felt like home to me. I always say that I must have been Turkish in another life!

Dance Romani: Yes! All of us feel a connection with the music that drives us 'home' so to speak. The SCA - what fun! Tell us about your activities with them.



Danielle: Sad to say that I only attended Pennsic. I live in a university town so the group here was always very transient and hard to get to know. Life has gotten crazy though and I haven't been to Pennsic in ages. I credit it though for instilling in me not just the love of Turkish music but the love of Turkish history and culture. Of course Artie is a tremendous inspiration as far as history goes too!

Dance Romani: Speaking of life getting crazy...it's contagious by the way :) that is something I wanted to speak to you about in particular. You are a very busy woman - a lot of creative people I know seem to have very full plates! How do you prioritize for dance?

Danielle: Right now most of focus is in the academic study of Turkish history and culture. I returned to school this fall and my research will focus on just that! I am still working on narrowing down my topic though. I am trying to teach myself the Turkish language so I listen to language CDs in the car. I try to make some time for some dancing after work and on weekends. I have been meaning to start a Turkish dance website that would a source for dance information but that has been put on hold for now. I am trying to find a way to work it into my research somehow. There are no weekly classes in my area so I stick to workshops for my dance education

Dance Romani: are you a solo artist or do you dance with a group? Improv, choreography…a combo…. 

Danielle: Right now I am dancing as a soloist as our troupe recently dissolved. Solo I try to dance improv. With the troupe, we tended to do choreo but could do ATS when needed. I prefer improv though. I’m currently taking a break while I focus on being a Turkish history nerd.

 Dance Romani: My first intro to belly dance in general was by a woman who was a dance history scholar; that aspect of it drew me as much or more than the dance...it was the entire culture that transformed me as a dancer...that allowed me to put on that persona as you said. Have your academic studies affected you as a dancer?

Danielle: I think it has made me a more thoughtful dancer and much more appreciative of the passion that goes into the music and the dance. I really love the idea of immersing myself completely, learning the language, the geography, the struggles, the successes,
 You get a real feel for the ‘why’ behind it all.

Dance Romani: Very nicely said! It shows in your dance. You’re very centered, like you’re grounded in the culture. Who are your influences and your faves - in dance?

 Danielle: Thanks! Well Artie is first and foremost of course. I also really love Nesrin Topkapi, Tulay Karaca, Tanyeli... Oriental Reyhan, Ozgen, Ahmet Luleci, Selma Yildiz, Elizabeth Strong and Reyhan Tuzsuz, Eva too! I watch them all obsessively.

Dance Romani: Obsession seems to be the operative word for all of us. You mention Tulay...do you have any sources for her besides the video we have? What a unique style she has!

Danielle: She really is great. She is a perfect example of showing that you don't have to throw every bell and whistle into your dance. Good dance in and of itself is enough. But no, I can't say that I have come across any new footage. I really like her niece too. You can see so much of Tulay in her style. It's nice to see it carry on.

Dance Romani: Yes - carrying on is so important - dance evolves and takes on new forms, especially as we become more influenced by all types of dance, but it's jaw dropping to see someone like Tulay's niece.

Danielle: Turkish dance as performed by Turks has really changed over the years but there are still some out there worth watching. I worry that it is a dying style though I guess because Egyptian in particular is so popular these days.

Dance Romani: Turkish dance shouldn't be a well kept secret! That's why I love people like Artie who are educating us about the culture and the dance.

Dance Romani: Jennifer Hawkins: Who do you listen to - for dance?

Danielle: LOL! It might be easier for me to tell you who I am not listening to! My go-tos right now are Burhan Ocal, Ozel Turkbas, Mustafa Kandirali, Baba Zula. I am always in the search for more.

Dance Romani: When you find more please let us know - we're all constantly searching for great music. Everyone so far has listed Burhan Ocal!

Dance Romani:  Your zills and floor work - I remember you had some AWESOME backbends....

Danielle: Aw thanks... The zills are probably my favorite part of the dance. It definitely says bellydancer to me and I consider it an essential skill. So much fun. I really enjoy floor work too... It's another aspect that seems to be less popular than it used to be. I particularly like old school floor work. It seems like a lot of it today is overly athletic if that makes any sense.

Dance Romani: Yes! It makes total sense and I enthusiastically agree....I love floor work...love watching it....love doing it.



Dance Romani: Zills....any other instruments?

Danielle: I love playing the davul but zills are really my instrument of choice.

Dance Romani: Good choice! How much of your Turkish work is Romani - do you fuse the Romani with the Orientale?

Danielle: I probably do about 50/50. I always include a 9/8 and will often do just that if there is only time for just one song. I generally plan my style according to the venue. Romani for a street festival for ex and oriental for a restaurant or party. There is probably unintentional fusion going on if I am dancing improv. Whatever comes out, ya know?

Dance Romani: Yes...makes artistic sense! In closing - what has been your most extraordinary performance experience? Anything thoughts you'd like to add about our beloved dance?

Danielle: Probably my last performance... I was able to dance with some good friends providing live music with drums, Kanun and I was on zills. We did Rampi and it was so much fun to collaborate on. I am really proud of it. Hmm last thoughts... I would just like to say how much I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Turkophiles out there. It so nice to connect with others who share your passion. I love knowing we're all doing what we can to spread the Turkish love!



Dance Romani: Bravo, Danielle! That sounds like a fantastic opportunity last night. Can you imagine life without this passion? I feel so fortunate to be a Turkophile. We'll be looking forward to your website. If I want to see a schedule of your performances where can I go?

Danielle: http://www.moreshimmy.com/ and I will let you know when I get the Turkophile site up and running because I will definitely include Dance Romani

Dance Romani: Thank you Danielle it's been so nice to connect with you again. Do you dance as 'Danielle'?

Danielle: I dance as Tanyeli. It's been so nice talking to you too! I am looking forward to seeing everyone in January. Tesekkur ederim!

1 comment:

Jen Dance Romani said...

That last photo is my fave! Really shows your Romani spirit!