Thursday, October 21, 2010

PATSI - PERFORMER OF WORLD FUSION DANCE

Patsi is a Houston based performer and instructor who ‘knows what she wants when she wants it…and the more difficult the task the better she likes it’! Anyone who’s seen Patsi dance can attest to her mastery of ‘difficult tasks’ in the world of bellydance. Patsis' command of various styles and influences define her as a ‘world fusion dance performer.’ In group and solo performances, her impeccable technique and joyful stage presence inspires dancers and audience members alike.  

Since directing her artistic path toward bellydancing she has graced the stages of: Texas Rensaissance Festival, India Fest (Houston), FOBANA (Houston), 3rd Coast Tribal (Fort Worth), Delta Con Anime (Houston), Sirrom Studio (Houston,including artist in residence: Bollywood), Avant Garden (Houston).

Patsi is also responsible for bringing Artemis Mourat to Sirrom Studio in Houston in 2010 and again at Ballam Bellydance and Well Being (Houston) in June of 2011.  We are proud to claim this  accomplished artist and active entrepreneur as an integral part of the Houston dance scene!


Patsi


Interview With Patsi  October 17, 2010

Patsi Bucki: Hello Jen!

Dance Romani: Hi Patsi!!

Dance Romani: Were you dancing this morning?

Patsi Bucki: No, taking my husband to breakfast since he accompanied me to the Turkish Festival all day yesterday, love him.

Dance Romani: That IS a fabulous man!

Patsi Bucki: I agree.

 Dance Romani: Shall we get started?

Patsi Bucki: Yes. ma'am!

Dance Romani: Cool! I met you about 4 years ago, is that right? At Sirrom Studio in Houston, in Sarins' class? You had an extensive dance background...tell me about that and how you developed an interest in bellydance.

Patsi Bucki: Yes, we met about 4 years ago. I spent my childhood to early adulthood in ballet, modern dance and jazz; I was a Fine Arts major at TCU getting my degree in Modern Dance. So I have literally danced my way through my life. Like all things, I took a very long break, 20 years for other interests and then found myself wanting to take a dance class again at age 38. What to take? Not interested in ballet, didn't like the modern, no to hip hop. Then I found a Bollywood video with a Rajasthani girl, bare belly, dancing on top of a train winding through the Kashmiri Mountains and thought.”I'll take a bellydance class!”

Patsi

Dance Romani: It's so much fun hearing how people become interested in belly dance! What style of Indian dance are you involved in...Did your interest in Indian and belly evolve simultaneously...as a result of this video?
Patsi Bucki: Yes. Only it was easier, after 20years of no classes, to try belly dance first. It was easier to locate a school, schedule, etc. Within 3 months, I was taking 3 classes a week. Then I attended my first tribal workshop, 3rd Coast Tribal and met Reetu Jain there. She was one of my first Indian dance teachers. Through her I learned about the different types of Indian: Classical, Bollywood and Folk. From there I alternated between learning Bollywood, BharatNatayam (a classical style) and love Bhangra (a Pumjabi Folk style). So I have done the belly dancing alongside the Indian all along.

Dance Romani: Yes...and your interest in both has brought about a unique style of fusion for you. Let's talk about your interest in Turkish and how it developed; it’s part of your fusion style as well.

Patsi Bucki: As I have actually sat and thought the most basic thought "Why do I dance" I realized it's the music. Even since I was a tiny tot...certain music moved me. Early on it was when my dad played his Elvis records. Jump to present day and it's still the music. There are instruments, rhythms, vocals that call to me on a very deep almost primal level. And it creates this energy within, a joy, a familiarity. And Romani rhythms, particularly Turkish and Flamenco seem to be rooted somewhere in my soul. What can you do with that except explore, study, dance and enjoy!

Dance Romani: And indeed you have! Where was your introduction to Turkish Romani?

Patsi Bucki: I think I began to understand the differences when I was working a couple of weeks in Jacksonville, Florida. I found a dance teacher that taught some Turkish (Julianne Battaglia) and took a private. Right at the beginning of the lesson she made it clear there where different rhythms and there was Oriental and Romani styles. She really introduced me to the uneven rhythms first. That's when it is like...Ah, there's even more to learn and study. Which way to go now?

Dance Romani: Yes, indeed - there are so many different areas of belly dance to explore and I agree with you - it seems that different aspects of it resonate with us for different reasons. Did you start to pursue Turkish immediately after that or did it take a while to define your 'Turkish' path?

 Patsyi Bucki: No, immediately. I know what I want when I want and that's when I found the yummy 9/8's and wanted more. They are very difficult to dance to and the more difficult the task, the better I like it! I knew also then there were very few who could teach what I wanted. I knew I was going to have to spend some effort and money getting to the likes of Artemis or Eva Cernik and Elizabeth Strong. Those were my teacher targets. Luck smiled upon and gave me Artie first 3 years ago.

Patsi

Dance Romani: There's Artie again! Yes, I remember some of the moves you bought back from an Atlanta workshop, wasn't it? So at this point in your career you are becoming prolific at various styles...styles that contributed to your unique fusion style...how would you describe your style?

Patsi Bucki: I don't think I have one style per say. Although I believe my Indofusion is developing and growing, something I hope to show at 3rd Coast Tribal in January. And I want to have a Romanifusion voice as well. That has yet to be experimented on. I love dancing a variety of things. Maybe it's an old Romani soul inside that keeps me looking for the next horizon. I would not be happy locked in one type. If I need to be summed up I am a World Fusion Dance Performer.

Dance Romani: Great description! As far as the Turkish portion of your dance, who are you most influenced by?

Patsi Bucki: Artemis for her style and devotion to the Romani people; Eva Cernik for her artistry and wherever I can see the Romani dancing. Just yesterday during Dilek's early belly dance performance there was a group of young adults rocking the Romani rhythms off the side of the stage*. Made you want to jump up and join them. Their dance was free style and fun but so very Romani. It was the stuff I had seen on research videos. They are a great inspiration and a chance to touch history as well.

*Editor’s note: Patsi is referring to the 20th Annual Turkish Festival in Houston which she attended yesterday (10/16/2010).

Dance Romani: Yeah, you can't hear it and not want to be part of it! You're mastering your improvisational skills quite well. It's been a joy watching you hone that talent. Please share some secrets with us!!

Patsi Bucki: Your safe go to mini-combos! Stuck? Mini combo! Mini combos! Also, just dancing around the house to the song. Be silly, push it - know the song inside and out. Dance it in your head. Let go. That's the hardest concept of all. To let go means you lay yourself bare for all to see. Beautiful things can happen though if you take the chance. I still struggle with the letting go. But is gets easier when you realize nothing bad will happen to you if you let go.

Dance Romani: GREAT advice! You make it look easy. You’re a solo performer and teach as well; you also perform with The Sisters of Avalon - describe the Sisters’ style. Great performance by you gals, by the way, a few weeks ago at Avant Garden....sweet choreography!

Patsi Bucki: Thank you! The Sisters are a World Fusion Tribal troupe as well. And it is a totally collaborative effort. One of us knows Zambra Mora (Spanish gypsy) another Egyptian stylings, another knows a little West African and I bring the Indian. Mixed up with Tribal fusion or ITS stylings and I believe we have a very distinct tribal voice as a group. We’re beginning to get recognition which is exciting.

Patsi Bucki and the Sisters of Avalon

Dance Romani: That's fantastic - a lot of talent in that group! You and I've shared a lot of music in the past, who are you currently listening to for dance?

Patsi Bucki: I have been listening a lot to Burhan Ocal (Turkish drummer and composer) and Niyaz (collective ME modern group). Burhan has some great music I want to dance to but needs time. This is where I am wanting to meld Tribal Fusion (a al Silvia*) and Romani. The music is modern but funky 9/8's and Ciftitelli. Niyaz is again a modern group but their rhythms are old. Perfect fusion material.

*Editor’s Note: Silvia Salamanca is a Houston based instructor.

Dance Romani: Great choices. Patsy, we've had some incredible experiences in the 4 years we've known each other: Turkish dance camp, Turkish Intensives at Artie's and 3rd Coast...it's been so much fun - is there anything you'd like to say in closing?

Patsi Bucki: It has been awesome. Especially the people we encounter on these journeys. Or those that choose to accompany us on these journeys. I feel like I have truly gained sisters in all this. And there is more out there for us to experience. I am afraid we have just scratched the surface but am grateful I get to share these experiences with others close to my soul! Thanks so much for letting contribute!

Dance Romani: Thank you Patsy!! We’ll check: Patsy's dance site and Sisters of Avalon site for performance schedules of you and the Sisters of Avalon. We can also see Patsy every first Tuesday at Avant Garden. She's also available for private instruction and private party performance. 

Patsi and friends at 3rd Coast 2010. Yes, you can add a touch of Tunisian to her style as well!
L to R: The Slow 9, Amel Tafsout, Breayn Abramson, and Patsi






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

ambien 10 mg ambien cr klonopin - ambien withdrawal gabapentin

Anonymous said...

ativan medication buy brand ativan - ativan.5 vs xanax.25

Anonymous said...

zolpidem no prescription buy zolpidem without rx - ambien side effects next day nausea

Anonymous said...

xanax for sale without prescription buy xanax dogs - generic xanax thailand

Anonymous said...

generic ativan online ativan and alcohol dangers - ativan withdrawal effects

Anonymous said...

cheap generic soma soma devlet hastanesi online randevu alma - carisoprodol codeine

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol no prescription carisoprodol 350 mg contraindications - where to buy soma bikes

Anonymous said...

soma carisoprodol can you overdose carisoprodol - can overdose carisoprodol

Anonymous said...

ambien sleep there generic ambien cr 12.5 - ambien on urine drug test

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol drug buy somatropin-x3gh - dosage for soma medication

Anonymous said...

buy valium online generic valium tablets - valium 10mg vs klonopin

Anonymous said...

buy valium where to buy valium online - cheapest valium online

Anonymous said...

where to buy valium valium 10mg xanax 1mg - valium used recreational drug